Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Raider of the LFR

I made my first run in the LFR last night through Mogu’shan Vaults. I’m honestly not sure how I feel about it at this point.

First off, I think there seems like a big push by Blizzard to push people into the LFR. I have been running dungeons in the LFD since that came out back in Wrath. I’ve been quite happy with it. Before that, I tried to run a few dungeons back in the day, but would spend most of my hour or hour-and-a-half of game time just trying to get into a group, and over to the dungeon, only to have someone have to leave, and bam, the night goes down the drain. With the LFD, I queued up and went about my other business, and would get into a group with not much fuss. These days, DPS queues on my server are about 12 to 15 minutes, and I’ll do dailies or run a scenario while I wait. I enjoy most of the Dungeons they released in MOP now that I’ve been through them a few times (except for maybe Gate of the Setting Sun and Siege of Niuzao Temple; I wouldn’t call either of those a favorite, but I guess they can’t all be)

But it seems like Blizzard is not content with me running dungeons to progress my character gear. No new dungeons in 5.1 or coming in 5.2. And the comments Ghostcrawler has put out lately pretty clearly indicate that Blizzard wants people to progress through the LFR after the initial dungeons. So no new dungeons for someone like me, who likes running dungeons. I guess I can keep running the same dungeons over and over ( and over and over) again plus dailies to unlock rep gear to spend on my valor, or take the push from Ghostcrawler and give the LFR a try.

So that brings me back to the top of the post. I did take that push and the Mogu’shan Vault a run last night. I’ll be the first to admit, I had no idea what the hell was going on. It seemed like twenty five people were running around trying to tank and spank the bosses to me. I read through the Raid outlines for the bosses on Icy Veins, so I felt like I did a little research, but admittedly, not a whole lot and it don’t think it really helped me a whole lot. I’m sure that I’ll get more comfortable with what’s going on, just as I did with dungeons when I started running those so long ago. Just as the LFR seems now, those seemed frantic relative to my mostly solo questing at the time, and now I don’t even think twice about mixing them up. So maybe LFR will also seem that way. I hope, but I’m not sure. It doesn’t seem like you can really have twenty five random people assemble and do anything that seems remotely organized with no planning at all. It seems like it’s mostly just going to be chaos. And I’m not sure chaos seems all that fun to me. Maybe I’m wrong, and this will be my favorite part of the game and I’ll enjoy gearing up for it and through it. But I’m not sure at this point. It’s definitely not something that I instantly fell in love with. We’ll have to see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment